Saturday, March 24, 2007

How I found Livingstone: Diary of Sir Henry Morton Stanley (1872)

SOURCE FOR THIS PICTURE: Statue of Henry Morgan Stanley, late 19th Century explorer sent by King Leopold II of Belgium (Congo-Kinshasa).
Source: Ellington, University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries, Africa Focus



Courtesy of the the Library of the University of the beautiful city of Adelaide in Australia, consider the diary of Sir Henry Morton Stanley, G.C.B..

"I would have run to him, only I was a coward in the presence of such a mob--would have embraced him, but that I did not know how he would receive me; so I did what moral cowardice and false pride suggested was the best thing--walked deliberately to him, took off my hat, and said:
"DR. LIVINSTONE, I PRESUME?"
"Yes," said he, with a kind, cordial smile, lifting his cap slightly."

No comments:

 
More blogs about Exploratoria.