Saturday, June 09, 2007

Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant (1885)

Once again we are thankful to Project Gutenberg for making available to the public this very touching document which we have edited to a more convenient format, courtesy of issuu.com. In the memoirs, General Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States, does not ponder very much on his Presidency or his childhood. It is a poignant diary, penned in the last days of his life (he had terminal throat cancer) to be able to provide for his family. The book became a bestseller, and restored the family fortune.



We have also find samples of his amazing character in a letter he wrote to his brother at 37, edited by Jesse Grant Cramer. The excerpt below is a small gem of his belief in "the essential honesty of every man":

"I have been postponing writing to you hoping to make a return for your horse, but as yet I have received nothing for him. About two weeks ago a man spoke to me for him and said that he would try him the next day, and if he suited, give me $100 for him. I have not seen the man since; but one week ago last Saturday he went to the stable and got the horse, saddle and bridle, since which I have seen neither man nor horse. From this I presume he must like him. The man, I understand, lives in Florisant, about twelve miles from the city. "

No comments:

 
More blogs about Exploratoria.